Your First Visit with Our Highlands Ranch & Castle Pines Pediatric Dentists
Here at Colorado Kids Pediatric Dentistry, we agree with the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics that a child’s first dental visit be scheduled by his/her 1st birthday. The purpose of this first visit is to establish a positive relationship with your child and to evaluate his/her dental health. Our Highlands Ranch and Castle Pines pediatric dentists, Drs. Fox, Waguespack, LeBlanc and Hiegert, will help make your child’s first visit fun, comfortable and enjoyable. We love seeing our young patients leaving their first visit with big smiles on their faces. We proudly serve Highlands Ranch, Castle Pines and the surrounding towns of Littleton, Castle Rock, Parker and Centennial with high quality, affordable pediatric dentistry. Below, you will find information on what to expect at different types of first visits.
What to Expect on Your First (Non-Emergency) Visit
Your first non-emergency visit with us is an important one, since we will be gathering all kinds of information—from you, from your child and from any other dental and medical records you have—in order to determine the right course of care for your child. At this visit, we will do a comprehensive exam and cleaning for big kids, or a "Happy Visit" for children under three years old.
What to Bring to Your First (Non-Emergency) Visit:
- Registration forms. Please download the PDF for all forms here.
- Previous dental records, if any.
- Dental insurance card and explanation of benefits (any literature that lists the details of coverage for your particular plan)
What to Expect at a Comprehensive Examination
- An interview with a dentist to evaluate the child’s needs and to discover expectations concerning possible treatment
- Clean and polish teeth
- Apply a fluoride solution
- An oral examination by the dentist
- Possible digital X-rays for a clear picture
- A discussion of findings and a recommended treatment plan, as well as an estimate of the length of treatment and the fees involved
What to Expect from a Happy Visit (Children Under Three)
- A visual check examination of the mouth, teeth (if they are present) and tongue by a dentist
- A cleaning and polishing if the child is ready (we will never force your child to have a cleaning!)
- A discussion with parents of any new developments or findings
- A ride on the exam chair, a toy from the Treasure Box and a soft new toothbrush
- A happy patient ready to come back for more!
What to Expect at a Regular Dental Check-Up and Cleaning Appointment
We recommend a dental check-up at least twice a year for most children. In order to help you stay on a regular schedule, we send a check-up "recall" card when your child is due for a check-up. You can also opt in for e-mail reminders by updating your account with an active e-mail address. At each check-up appointment, you can expect us to do the following:
- Review the child’s medical and dental history.
- Clean and polish teeth.
- Apply a fluoride solution.
- An oral examination by the dentist.
- A discussion between the dentist and parents of any important findings or developments.
- Discussion and demonstration of proper oral hygiene techniques.
- Discussion about healthy eating, drinking, and snacking.
We will also talk with your child about taking responsibility for the care of their own smile and send them home with a soft new toothbrush and dental floss.
Have questions about our office policies and procedures?
Click here to find out what you need to know.
Schedule Your Child's First Visit
Thank you for considering Colorado Kids Pediatric Dentistry for your child’s dental health care needs. We are always welcoming new patients and look forward to welcoming you and your child to our office. Our Parker pediatric dentists are highly experienced and well equipped to provide the highest quality dental care for your children. If you would like to schedule your child’s first visit, or have any questions, please feel free to contact us and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. We look forward to meeting you!